facebook
Twitter
Feedback

Forums

Building.co.uk Forum The UK's leading construction site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can a developer force me to stop work on a housing project for six months?
16-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Can a developer force me to stop work on a housing project for six months?
I'm a housebuilding contractor. The developer has issued what he calls a "deceleration order" to me. In other words, he says he wants me to slow down or stop work so that the completion date is six months later than the one in the contract. Presumably he wants to wait until the housing market picks up a bit. He says he'll fix a new completion date and will compensate me for the costs of demobilising and remobilising again. Can he do this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2008, 03:36 PM
RE: Can a developer force me to stop work on a housing project for six months?
He can't issue a variation order stopping you, as those only cover scope of work issues.
He could issue an instruction to postpone the works if the contract was standard JCT 2005 (clause 3.15; or 3.10 if it's design and build)but:
a) if it's for more than the period stated in the Contract Particulars (2 months if unamanded) the Contractor can terminate after that period has expired-then he has a claim for losses, including lost profit;
b) even if there is no termination,he'd have to pay you the loss and expense associated with any postponement e.g site overheads,deferred profit,contribution to head office overheads,possible payments to subcontractors to reschedule work etc.

Still, in he current market, it might still be profitable for the developer to postpone for as long as he can and even risk a termination at some point,rather than be stuck with a load of houses ha can't sell!
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2008 01:33 PM by Pedro Bonio.)
homeboy Wrote:I'm a housebuilding contractor. The developer has issued what he calls a "deceleration order" to me. In other words, he says he wants me to slow down or stop work so that the completion date is six months later than the one in the contract.

In most of our contracts the developer reserves the right to alter the construction programme without penalty. Prob a good idea to check your smallprint.

Best of luck.

http://www.bondgroupuk.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2008, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2008 10:52 PM by yelkcub69.)
Having worked for a few developers / housebuilders, I would suggest that the legality of this really depends on what the contract / subcontract says. Most developers / housebuilders have provisions in their contract allowing this and as such they would sometimes not accept demobilisation / remobilisation costs. I agree that it would be a good idea to check the clauses within the contract.

However in real terms you need to consider why he has instructed this slow down and consider if they are financially sound as ultimately if they have no purchasers they may not be able to fund paying you. As such it maybe a blessing as it may reduce your exposure. Ultimately I would suggest that you get paid for works to date and then worry about the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Role of Architecture and Engineering on new project Ste_Vege 9 6,484 18-11-2013 04:33 PM
Last Post: SKETCH3D
  Building noise compensation (unable to work from home due to noise) denbury 14 43,568 26-09-2013 04:58 PM
Last Post: rmwilli4
  Ground floor block work, 1st floor timber freezer 1 5,018 05-03-2013 04:22 PM
Last Post: amapws
  Stopping a project before work commences Upthefoxes 8 5,518 05-12-2012 05:37 PM
Last Post: moondoggy
  incomplete work deswals 8 9,078 23-11-2012 03:51 AM
Last Post: DeepCreek