Forums

Building.co.uk Forum The UK's leading construction site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building regs expert needed - RSJ, single skin wall etc
16-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Building regs expert needed - RSJ, single skin wall etc
Newbie here.

Some work was done on my house without planning permission in 2003 before I bought it. For whatever reason I wasn't made aware of the lack of consent when I bought the house but that's another story....

Work that was done: Kitchen knocked into dining room, RSJ installed. Kitchen also knocked into rear "coal shed", second RSJ installed.

I'm going through the regularisation process but wondered if anyone can tell me if this work would have passed building regs in 2003. Particularly concerned about single skin wall and change to habitable use of that coal shed.

Thanks!

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2010, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2010 06:23 PM by Dr Rob.)
RE: Building regs expert needed - RSJ, single skin wall etc
No! In answer to direct question.

To Regularise you will need to consider the following at least:
Material change of use.
Part A, structure not invoked however, don't bank on this since if the loadings are increased then it is "worse than it was before" and Part A can be called up. So expect a trial hole to see foundations, and roof exposed to see if the rafters are not overspanned carrying any extra loading i.e. plasterboard.
Internal, insulated stud work on a DPC will suffice if the external walls are OK - subject to point above.
Structural calcs for the steels. Expose both to confirm sizes.
Part B. Did the stair case (if any) discharge into the old Dining room. If so, I'd argure that all 1st floor rooms are now inner rooms off of the Kitchen - the most likely seat of fire, so expect to see at least interlinked smokes and a heat detector in Kitchen area. Also check MOE windows of 1st floor rooms.
C, Does/did the coal shed have a DPC? Does it now have a DPM?
F, If the cooker/hob has been moved into the converted coalshed then you'll need a Mech vent 30l/s
Roof ventilation - expose to confirm.
H, Any covered new drainage runs will require exposing.
L, Insulation? Easier to justify as you only would need that which is "technically, functionally and economically feasible". So possible to insulate walls and roof as a minimum. - Ins to floor possible?
Double glazed units.
N - Safety glass to BS6206 in critial areas
Pre 2005 so part P not required.

Dr R D Saunders MBEng, BEng(Hons), PhD
Developer of G-Calc 2010 - Part G Calculation software
Building Regulation Consultant and Senior BCO
Follow on twitter @DrRDSaunders
16-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow that's really helpful, will sit down and go through all that. Some of them aren't relevent, others are things I hadn't thought of.
Interested in the "technically, functionally and economically feasible" aspect of insulation. Does that mean level of insulation is not measurable?
Thanks again.
16-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Insulation is very measurable - however in material change of use you are not required to do any more than you can (although some BCO's will differ!). Clearly if it is possible to bring walls up to standard then that is what I'd expect to see, same for roofs.
However, for an example -In some instances it would cost more to break a floor out so as to get in say 80mm of ins than would be gained (cost based over 15yrs) by placing the ins in the re-done floor. In this instance it would not be "economically feasible" to place 80mm of ins. So none, or a minimal amount would be accpetable.

Dr R D Saunders MBEng, BEng(Hons), PhD
Developer of G-Calc 2010 - Part G Calculation software
Building Regulation Consultant and Senior BCO
Follow on twitter @DrRDSaunders

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Party Wall Agreement - 5yrs on.. Elaineyp2002@yahoo.co.uk 2 2,233 07-06-2014 07:45 PM
Last Post: amapws
  Party Wall - Serving Notice to Divorced Freeholders alibrown18 3 1,730 07-06-2014 07:42 PM
  Party wall, adjoining home owner is selling up. Sheffield Builder 3 2,135 07-05-2014 10:56 AM
Last Post: partywallsurveyors.org
  RSJ in ceiling void stemac 2 1,378 05-04-2014 02:23 PM
  Building costs estimate soleil 7 6,691 22-01-2014 05:25 PM
Last Post: soleil