Feedback

Forums

Building.co.uk Forum The UK's leading construction site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Getting a CSCS card for labouring
22-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Getting a CSCS card for labouring
Hi. I am a student hoping to do some general labouring over the summer to pay the bills.

I know you usually need a CSCS card for labouring, so I've booked a health and safety test for tomorrow (CITB test for operatives), but now I've realised that the website says I also need an NVQ level 1 in construction for a green card?

Do I really need this in order to get a simple labouring job? Is there any other way to get a CSCS card without doing a qualification? I've done a bit of manual lifting in other capacities before. I just want to get going and start earning really
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2012, 12:15 PM
RE: Getting a CSCS card for labouring
er what is the point of a card without qualification showing competance ?
Another something for nothing

Depending on the company most domestic sites do not require cSCS cards - that is one of the reasons there are so many accidents on those sites that coupled with untrained part time labourers and builders ( collectively called idiots in our offices) .

This weeks personal collection

Untied and ladder too short sliding against steel beam
bending over and cutting paving slabs without eye protection , gloves or stopping public walking directly past
Hand dig excavations without shuttering approx 2m deep adjacent existing foundations at higher level

i have only been to two sites this week
26-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Well I completed my first day of labouring today - manually lifting plastic sheets across a stadium roof as part of a team.

I am on a temp contract (2 days) and was told that the health and safety certificate is enough for this, but if I want to do any more, then I need a CSCS card. It hardly seems necessary to do a construction NVQ level 1 when I am just moving things around. Surely there is a way of getting a CSCS card for manual labouring without going down the qualification route?
26-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Pricey

I might be missing a trick here but I have many people with CSCS cards and very few, if any, of the labourers have any qualifications.

(26-06-2012 04:44 PM)pricey Wrote:  Well I completed my first day of labouring today - manually lifting plastic sheets across a stadium roof as part of a team.

I am on a temp contract (2 days) and was told that the health and safety certificate is enough for this, but if I want to do any more, then I need a CSCS card. It hardly seems necessary to do a construction NVQ level 1 when I am just moving things around. Surely there is a way of getting a CSCS card for manual labouring without going down the qualification route?
26-06-2012, 06:55 PM
There are plenty of training companies who provide the training and examination for CSCS cards. Have you spoke to either the local jobcentre or connexions office? They will be able to point you in the right direction.

I even know a couple of people who have had their CSCS exam paid for by the jobcentre
26-06-2012, 10:00 PM
To get yourself a CSCS card for a general operative, just book your test. This will be a touch screen test and is designed to assess your general competence with regards to safety on construction sites, you might need the a booklet to test yourelf prior to this if you are not conversant with site protocols and procedures. It is rare to fail these tests as most questions rely on basic common sense but there may possibly be some about fire extinguishers (what type for assorted conflagrations, I can never remember which is for what). You will not require an NVQ in anything unless rules have altered very recently. Remember to always shine your boots every day before work, brush your hair and clean behind your ears.
19-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Just thought I'd post here to explain what I did for future reference to help anyone in a similar situation.

As I said in my first post, I booked the CSCS for operatives test and passed, then with the certificate managed to find a job on a building site for a few days. I rang up the CSCS line and asked about the process for getting a green operatives card and they said all you need to do is provide them with the contact details (name, phone and address) of someone you know in the building trade as a reference. So I paid for the card over the phone and gave them the details of my manager on the building site I worked on.

The card has arrived shiney and new and is valid for 5 years! Thanks for your advice.
08-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Good man, now you can dirty with the rest of us. You need a level 2 NVQ for a blue card (craftsman). A NVQ level 3 for gold card (supervisor) or A Level 4 NQV or undergraduate course for black card (managers) you can take a 2 day SSSTS course £250 to act as a supervisor, or pay £750 for 5 day course SMSTS equivalent to a level 4 or 5 NVQ, so entitling you to project manage. You can also take one of the Princes courses that allow managerial positions.
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
(26-06-2012 04:44 PM)pricey Wrote:  - manually lifting plastic sheets across a stadium roof as part of a team.

Errrr have you been given any on site training to do this. Walking accross a roof is probably the most dangerous task on a building site.

There is no way I would employ even a labourer without them having some knowledge and understanding of the way to walk on a roof and the safety requirements needed
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2012, 04:48 PM
(22-06-2012 01:19 PM)pricey Wrote:  Hi. I am a student hoping to do some general labouring over the summer to pay the bills.

I know you usually need a CSCS card for labouring, so I've booked a health and safety test for tomorrow (CITB test for operatives), but now I've realised that the website says I also need an NVQ level 1 in construction for a green card?

Do I really need this in order to get a simple labouring job? Is there any other way to get a CSCS card without doing a qualification? I've done a bit of manual lifting in other capacities before. I just want to get going and start earning really

Did you manage to get your answer or do you still need help?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Getting a basic CSCS card cscscardeets 5 2,193 07-03-2014 07:06 AM
Last Post: surveyormike
  re cscs lukedudney 3 1,446 04-12-2012 06:12 PM
Last Post: PeeBee
  CSCS card Chris29 4 3,325 22-10-2012 01:35 PM
Last Post: PeeBee
  How get CSCS card for labouring without NVQ LoathingRascal 5 9,695 13-09-2012 10:46 PM
Last Post: Mark the Spark