Forums

Building.co.uk Forum The UK's leading construction site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing a conservatory roof from UPVC to tiles
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Changing a conservatory roof from UPVC to tiles
Hi

I would like to change my UPVC roof in my conservatory to a tiled roof as it is too cold in winter and too hot in the summer.

It is a lean too type with brick walls to both sides and windows to the front and half of one side with a sound concrete base. It spans 2.8m from the rear of the house and is 5m wide.

We have been quoted to put a timber and steel frame in to support the tiles. that would rest on the existing brick walls and pillars.

Do i need planning permission to do this or do i need to have approval regarding building regulations?

We would like to move in a few years and would need to make sure everything is ok for when the house is surveyed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2012, 05:03 PM
RE: Changing a conservatory roof from UPVC to tiles
Take a look at the planning portal for guidance. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

From a building regs point of view however if it was a conservatory it's likely to have lots of windows so you may be over glazed as a proper extension.

Darren Bell (MCIAT)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
There is a lightweight product designed specifically for this. It is exactly what you need because the conservatory frame is not designed to support a normal tiled roof.

However this product is completely lightweight and will work for you.

This is what you need: http://www.guardianconservatoryroofs.co.uk/

hope it helps.
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
You will need building regs approval for your plan as you are altering the structure of the building.
14-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi Ian

In most cases you won't need planning permission, but your fitter should be able to assess this upon survey. I don't think we've tiled a conservatory roof yet that has required planning permission. It's very unlikely you will need any permission.

If you want to view our building regs PDF follow this link and scroll down slightly to the orange box that reads 'Download the building regulations brochure' - However the easiest option is to ask your installer about building regs during survey

Siobhan Smile
HomeSafe Roof Solutions Ltd
siobhan@homesaferoofsolutions.co.uk
18-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Even if you weren't going to move in a few years it is understandable that you wouldn't want your conservatory roof to fall on your heads. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter is a common problem with old UPVC roofs on conservatories.

Guardian Roof and the Local Authority Building Control have collaborated to provide a solid roof option for conservatories. Take a look at our website and ask us for a quote, we can handle everything for you, so you won't have to worry about planning permission, http://www.guardianroofsouthern.com/tech...formation/.

With a Guardian Warm Roof not only will you be sure that when you move the conservatory will be secure but it'll also add value to your house, and save on energy bills.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Building a timber upstand for a roof light ChrisatEOS 0 930 12-08-2014 11:46 AM
Last Post: ChrisatEOS
  Do I Have A Legal Case? Botched Roof (Council Grant) jackster109 2 1,822 05-03-2014 08:02 PM
Last Post: amapws
  Planning office changing their mind. grudders 3 1,988 29-12-2013 10:49 AM
Last Post: amapws
  Leaking Roof / Patio Suggestions chris00 4 2,831 24-10-2013 09:31 AM
Last Post: D.H.A.
  Flat Roof of Kitchen extension allowing in water danDIYBristol 2 2,659 24-10-2013 09:24 AM
Last Post: D.H.A.